Summer is on its way. You are thinking what you should do during those free months. Should you take additional course or just relax and have a nice holiday? Or maybe take an internship? Of course, holidays sounds the best for you because you are tired of working and studying. You do not want to hear the word: WORK. Think again! Think what will be the best for you and your career in the future. Do you want to be the one who will complain that it is hard to find a job because of the lack of experience. If yes, do not even bother to read more. If you care about your future and how you are going to survive on your own in this tough job market, keep reading.
Having a perfect internship on your resume will be very useful for your next big job search. Here it is why:
- The internship will enhance your CV and resume. How else do you think you will be able to get experience? It is rare that employer would take an employee without experience in this day and age. It is good to get as much experience as you can.
- It is brilliant way to acquire new skills and use your knowledge in practise.
- Being in the office environment and working in specific industries will help you decide what you like and dislike.
- During your internship you will meet a lot people and that will improve your contact list.
- You may get a job offer. Even if you will not get immediately after internship, the employer will have you in mind in the future.
- You will get a recommendation which can be very useful in the future.
That’s it! You decided to take the summer internship. You are happy and you will do something useful during summer. One thing you need to remember that you should think carefully which internship to take. You do not want to make copies of documents all day long or preparing coffee for everybody. You want to do something interesting and challenging. So, how to land that perfect summer internship that will help you in the future? Here I will provide some guidelines for you on how to do it.
- Industry. First of all, you should decide in which industry do you want to work. You should follow your passion and what interests you. You do not want to end up working in a field of work which is boring for you.
- Company. Brainstorm a big list of companies where you would like to work. Then narrow it down by the location, the structure of the company and the internship programme they are offering.
- Work. Check what kind of job you will need to do in the company. Will you be interested in that work? Will you acquire new skills? You do not want to end up running errands or organizing document. The internship should be worth of your time and not be something that you would regret later.
- CV and cover letter. Write standing out CV and cover letter. Mention projects you took part in, any volunteering work and etc. Think on how to be different from everybody else.
- Follow up. After applying try not to be shy and take initiative to make calls or send e-mails. You could ask did they receive your CV or do they have any questions regarding your application.
When choosing your internship, do not forget that there is an option to travel abroad. Having an international experience can help you in the future. Taking internship abroad has a lot advantages:
- You would experience new culture;
- You will be able to travel while you are not working;
- You will expand your global network by making new friends in different country.
- You may learn a new language or improve your language skills. The best way to learn a language is by talking in it and hearing it majority of the time.
- It would be the perfect lesson in independence.
- You will gain cross-communication skills. Which can be a huge advantage for you in the future.
I hope these guidelines are helpful for you. So now all you need to do is just grab your computer and start searching for the perfect summer internship. This is something you definitely won’t regret doing.
You have just finished university and you’re ready to hit the job market. The first thing you do is write a CV and cover letter in order to be ready to apply for thousands of applications online. It is time-consuming and frustrating but you know it is a must in order to find your dream job. It has been a couple of months already, and while you keep sending your CV out to employers you still haven’t had a single interview. Then you start worrying what is wrong and why is it that nobody is noticing you. You feel depressed and exhausted, and start thinking that maybe you will not find your dream job at all. All these negative thoughts come to your mind, and you start thinking was it worth spending all those years at university studying at all. Maybe then you end up thinking that you need a job which is not according to your qualifications and dreams. Does this sound familiar to you? Are you graduate who feels exactly the same? Are you nodding yes? If yes, keep reading because this article is for you!
The first thing you need to do now is to change your thinking and delete all those negative ideas from your mind. Start thinking positive! You may ask what it has to do with your career and job search. But positive attitude, believes and thoughts attracts positive improvements and changes in your life. Do not forget that we are what we think and we achieve what we believe!
Then all those negatives ideas are out of your mind focus on improving your personality and you professional background. In this article I will provide steps how you can become THE ONE for employer.
You need to get rid of generic CV which you send to every employer you apply. You have just 9 seconds to stand out from the crowd when companies are looking through all CVs they have received.
- Be different. Think how you can distinguish yourself from all graduates. What is unique about you? Show your personality in your CV. Reveal your strengths and creativity.
- Research the company you are applying. You do not want to send out the generic CV even if it seems to be easy. Check company’s requirements for an employee and try to match your characteristics to it. If it is possible, check company’s website, their mission statement and values and adapt your skills and personality to them.
- Highlight your experience and mention the value you had delivered during it. Did you do any volunteer work, participated in projects? Mention it and try to adapt them to company’s requirements.
- Use your personal statement to show your interest and experience in the chosen industry. You need to show to employer that you as determined as ever to work in this industry. Also, highlight your skills which make you good for this industry and what value you can offer to the company.
Change your cover letter.
The cover letter is as much important as your CV. It does not just support your CV, but it fulfils it. Do not try to google examples of cover letter because you will end up just copying the same phrases as everybody else. It is time to use your imagination and creativity in order to be noticed.
- Tailor your letter according to the company and the position you are applying. Do some research about the company and do not forget to mention why you want to work in this company. Think why you are suitable for the position you are applying. Try to sell yourself in the letter.
- Be unique. In the cover letter you have an ability to show your personality. Do not repeat the same thing as in your CV. This is a chance for you to shine and show your motivation to work for them.
- Be presentable. Do not write a long cover letter. It should be no more than one page. Make sure that your cover letter has a good structure and looks clean and neat.
Take care of social media.
You may think that social media is not that important but the truth is that nowadays is crucially important. You can find jobs through LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter. Even if you are not searching for jobs through them, you need to clean your Facebook page and other social websites. Get rid of pictures which represent you unprofessionally. Delete all posts and photos related to usage of illegal drugs, alcohol and sexual content. Also, do not forget to fix all grammar mistakes.
- Set up your LinkedIn account. This would help you to land a job because a lot of employers search for you on the Internet before inviting you for an interview.
Finally you got an interview after such a hard work applying for all those vacancies! You are so happy that you got it. I do not want to put you down, but it is not the end yet. I know that a lot of graduates even do not get into this stage and you did. But do not do a mistake thinking that you do not need to prepare for an interview at all. Do not think that it is easy. It is not easy as you think it is. If you want to succeed and to get the job you should follow some preparation guidelines.
- Before an interview.
- Think what you will wear for the interview. If you buying new clothes, do not forget to try them before going. You need to feel comfortable and look confident.
- Do some research about the company. Check what you like about the company and what do you think needs improvement.
- Think about the question what they can ask and how would you answer them. Know your weaknesses and strengths. Think about what your biggest challenge was and how did you achieve it.
- Search for information what employers usually ask during the interview. There are a lot of examples and suggestions how to answer questions. Just do not be lazy and do it.
- Going to the interview.
- Prepare some copies of your CV to bring. Do not forget to take a notebook and a pen. Who knows maybe you will need it at one point.
- Do not be late! Arrive couple minutes earlier then you will have time to calm down and prepare yourself. There is no excuse for being late.
- At the interview.
- Be nice to everyone in the office and do not forget to smile. Be positive! Do not forget to shake hands when you meet hiring manager. Your handshake should not be too strong or too weak.
- Your body language is very important. Sit up straight and keep an eye contact. Do not cross your arms or legs. Even if you are stressed during the interview, do not forget to listen carefully.
- Answer questions in a simple and sweet way. Tell some real examples from your experience when answering a question. Your answers should not be too long. Do not rush to answer them. Take a couple of seconds to think about your answer. Never say that you do not know the answer.
- Always ask questions after you are being interviewed. It will show that you care about the company and you did your research about them. Ask employer about future projects, strategies and how could you exceed your expectations. Do not ask about the salary because this question is solved when signing the contract.
- Post the interview.
- Send a thank you note or email to the company. The purpose of it is that you will show your interest in the position and the company. This will demonstrate your professional manners as well.
Finally your dream came true! You get the job you wanted. But now you are stressed if you will be a good employee in the company. You do not know how you should act and behave in the office. You are afraid of your first week in the workplace but do not be afraid. Everything will be alright especially if you will follow some basic guidelines.
During your first day observe how people in the office are dressing. Are their outfit is more casual or formal? Try to adapt your wardrobe to theirs. Business casual is always appropriate and remember overdressing is always better than underdressing.
Do not rush to go home.
Arrive 10 minutes earlier in order to get ready to work at time and do not start packing your things before your working hours are finished. Expect that during first weeks you may stay at work longer than usual. Spending more time at work will show that you are motivated to work and you try to do your best.
Be good at introducing yourself. Always smile and be positive with everybody. It is very important to get along with your co-workers.
Do not be afraid to ask questions.
If you do not understand something, ask your trainee and do not be afraid. Of course, always take a note of important information you are being introduced.
Always be doing something.
If you did your job, read it once more to make sure they are no mistakes. Do not be afraid to ask what you should do next. If your trainee is busy, just wait for him while looking at your previous task once more but do not go on Facebook or other social media. You can ask to watch what other employees are doing. It is still part of your learning.
JUST BE YOURSELF AND YOU WILL SUCCEED
Never ever lie to the employer about your experience and skills. Be honest and try to look at your weaknesses in the positive way. Do not let negative beliefs come to your mind. Think positive and try your best to get where you want to be. Do not be upset if your job search is taking a long time. Use that free time productively. Get involved in courses, charity work which can give you experience and enhance your CV. Just do not be lazy and do your best!
Our Partner Sector Specific Job Boards
“We are expanding…”
www.Strike-Jobs.co.uk is growing to increase our reach. We have two new sector specific job boards that will be the first of a number of other specialist websites that will follow.
Introducing our new niche job boards…
Our engineering job board engineering jobs and work advertises jobs from every sector within the engineering category. We allow candidates to search by job field, location and skills. We have always attracted interest from engineering applicants, so it was very natural to make our debut sector specific site one tailored to engineers.
We now also have a sector specific website IT jobs and work, which is a place for IT jobseekers to search through top employers, find the latest jobs and to gain advice and info about potential careers. With a wide variety of IT professions available on our website, IT Jobs and Work is an invaluable resource for our high quality candidates.
Our latest edition to our sub sector boards is Catering Jobs and work. This is a specific website, where all of our hospitality roles are listed and candidates can search through the site in order find roles within the Hospitality & Catering industry. Candidates will be able to see all of our roles which we advetise from from Bar Managers and Chefs to Waiters and Waitresses.
Our City Centre websites are now looking grand – take a look
FREE job postings for a whole 30 days for all New Clients.
email@example.com to get set up with a login.
Email us for more information and to find out how to start your trial today or just Register your Company on the link below – Simple !
Our Event was a “great success”
Strike-Jobs hosted our first Brunch Conference on 1st June 2015.
We had the most spectacular morning with our inspirational speakers
“First Woman Global Finalist -Toastmasters Association” TEDX Speaker.
Global speaker and Founding Chairman of AIMA
MD Global Recruitment company Skills Provision
Public speaking and coaching for presentations and speeches.
Looking forward to our next Conference early 2016 – keep a look out for our next Recruitment Conference.